Steps in the migration process
We do most of the work for you, to move your email data and service from wherever you are, to Office 365. And at each step we will email you and your email users with reminders, and instructions. Take a look at the videos and the step-by-step process, below, so you can know what to expect.
What is migrating to Office 365
A brief overview of the migration process.
Webinar: How to move your business email to Office 365
An in-depth overview of the steps in the migration process, and what you can expect at each turn.
Webinar: How to prepare for an email migration to Office 365
A detailed overview of the details you need to have ready, and the preliminary steps leading up to your migration.
Steps in migration
- Discuss the Office 365 plan, and cut-over (migration) date that is right for you and your business, with a GoDaddy Account Advisor.
Note: We provide what's called "cut-over" migration, so there's no down-time involved in the switch from your old email, to your new.
- Purchase your new Office 365 plan, and create your new accounts. You can have an Account Advisor do this with you, or for you, while on the phone.
- Submit a list of your current email inbox addresses, along with the corresponding passwords, to your Account Advisor. This is so we can start the migration of your email users' data, behind the scenes. Get a free Account Creation Worksheet here.
For any of your users who are on Windows, already using Outlook, you do not need to provide the passwords. Your email users will receive an email from us that prompts them to download the Outlook Assistant program called SKOA. This will collect their current email password, and handle their Outlook profile switch, automatically, at cut-over. See All Windows Outlook users..., below.
Note: For Workspace users, you can skip this entire step! We already have everything we need to handle your entire migration, and you don't need to provide any extra details, or any passwords, at any point
- Now, we start moving your data to Office 365, behind the scenes. You just continue to use your current email, as normal.
- Prior to your cut-over date, all mailbox users receive an email with instructions about preparing for the upgrade. It's always important to have some kind of preparation communication come from the boss, so click here for some sample emails that you can start from.
- On your upgrade date: Your domain name is updated to start routing email to Office 365, if it is in the same GoDaddy account. We continue to check your old email account for any data that was routed to it, during the upgrade. This process is designed to avoid impact, and move everything.
Note: If your domain is not in the same GoDaddy account as your Office 365 subscription, you will receive detailed instructions with the DNS records that you will need to update. Please also see: Do I need to make any changes to my domain settings when I am migrated?.
- 10 minutes before the actual cut-over: You and your users are notified by email. Everyone is asked to save their work and close Outlook before their account can be upgraded. If a user has Outlook open, they will be given the option to postpone the upgrade 10 minutes, as many times as they need. If their computer is off, or not connected to the internet, the upgrade will happen automatically the next time they connect, and log in.
- When the upgrade is complete: We’ll notify all users with instructions for accessing your new email account, and setting up your mobile devices.
- For 2 weeks after your upgrade: We will continue to monitor your old email account, in case of any straggler email routing, and make sure everything is synced up in your new Office 365 account.
- 2 weeks after your upgrade: We’ll remove all your old data, and disable access. Everything is secure, and finalized.
Have your users be on the lookout for communications from GoDaddy, and SkyKick, about the migration. Everything they need to do will be included in the emails they receive.
All Windows Outlook users should install the Outlook Setup Assistant
To make the migration process smoother, and allow us to move even more of your data and settings, we recommend that you and your email users download and install the Outlook Setup Assistant, before your scheduled upgrade date. The Assistant is only available for Windows PC users.
The account holder will receive daily reports on the Outlook Setup Assistant downloads by your email users. We highly recommend that everyone (who can) downloads and installs the Assistant, as early in the process as possible.
The Outlook Setup Assistant system requirements are:
- Outlook 2007-2016 on Windows (no thin clients or terminal servers)
- Must have .Net Framework 4.0 FULL installed before the Assistant
- Ensure you install the appropriate version of the Outlook Setup Assistant (x32 vs x64)
- Local Administrator rights are required to download and install Outlook Setup Assistant
- Outlook Setup Assistant's Client app will run under the identity of the currently logged in user and must be able to communicate with migsvc.skykick.com and *.loggly.com on ports 80 and 443
- Outlook Setup Assistant's Windows Service will run under the identity of the Network Service and must be able to communicate with migsvc.skykick.com and *.loggly.com on ports 80 and 443
Anyone not able to use the Outlook Setup Assistant will have to manually set a password for their new Office 365 account. We’ll send each account holder an email at the proper time to set a password.
Folks not using Outlook, or unable to get the Outlook Setup Assistant, will have to set up their email client with Office 365, manually. Here are instructions for setting up various Apple Mac email clients with Office 365:
- Apple Mail (Mac): Set up email
- Outlook for Mac 2011: Set up email
- Outlook for Mac 2016: Set up email